- This event has passed.
Intimate Partner Violence Panel – Pride Event
August 16, 2016 @ 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Join us on Tuesday, August 16th at McNabb Community Centre (180 Percy) for a panel discussion on intimate partner violence in queer and transgender relationships. This panel will consist of 4 panelists [Sam Whittle, Ibtehaj Shahid, Lukayo Estrella and
Elke Keating] and a moderator. The doors open at 6:30pm and the panel will start at 7pm sharp. We ask that folks arrive before 7pm if possible. Panelists will speak for approx. 15-20 minutes each followed by roughly 30 minute question and answer period.
If you would like to ask a question on this topic, you will have two opportunities to do so: 1) you can submit your questions electronically before the event via email until August 15th, 2) or there will be an opportunity to submit your question in writing at the event.
Questions can be submitted to Kind via firstname.lastname@example.org
The space is accessible by wheelchair and includes 6 designated accessible parking spots. Parking is free.
This event will have an American Sign Language interpreter. If other interpreters are needed, please let us know by August 5th and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Unfortunately child minding, attendant care, and audio description is not available for this event.
McNabb Community Centre is accessible by public transit by bus #14 and #85, and is located near Bronson and Gladstone.
Peer support is available for free, on site. Peer support people will be identifiable by a name tag sticker labelled “PEER SUPPORT”.
For other accommodation needs or concerns, please contact the Womyn’s Centre at email@example.com
Safer Space Guidelines
To ensure the safety and well being of all members in attendance at this event, we ask that you adhere to the following. Consequences of not adhering may result in a private time out or being asked to leave the event.
– Respect names, pronouns, and personal space. Please do not touch anyone without their consent.
– Please do not speak out of turn. We ask that during the event, you only speak when prompted to by the moderator.
– We have a zero tolerance policy for racism and discrimination of any kind. We are committed to addressing immediately to incidents of racism.
– Please be aware the content discussed at this event may be triggering or upsetting to folks. If you are feeling triggered, we will have a diverse group of peer support people on site. Don’t forget about self care!
– Please do not take pictures of anyone in attendance unless they are speaking on the panel or you have their consent.
– Please be mindful of those with accessibility needs and do not block any entrances or doorways
– Panelists may discuss personal stories or experiences. Please do not share these stories with others or on social media
– So all community members can attend, we ask that you help make this event scent-free (perfumes etc)
– There will be snacks available on site. Please let us know if you have any dietary restrictions or food allergies
Please email us if you would like to add anything to this list. This list will also be available at the event.
This event is hosted by Kind, in collaboration with the Womyn’s Centre, the Gender and Sexuality Resource Centre, and The Ottawa Coalition to End Violence Against Women.
Special thanks to City Counsellor Catherine McKenney and her staff, as well as the Carleton University Student Association.